I’m continuing my results with the recipes for this weeks menu that I listed in this previous post. Last night’s supper was the Drip Beef Sandwich recipe listed above, along with these homemade deli rolls.
I mentioned in my menu plan that I was on the lookout for new crock pot recipes, so I decided to adapt this one for my crock pot — also, I don’t own a dutch oven as the recipe lists.
Adjustments I made:
- Used crock pot instead of Dutch oven.
- Only used 2 lb meat (I’m only cooking for 2).
- Cut some of the measurements to “scant” portions since I was using less meat. The soy sauce (I used the second recipe) was very scant, I didn’t even have half a cup, so I added a little more Italian seasoning to help with the flavor.
- I substituted sherry for Brandy, because Brandy was what I already had on hand.
- Improvised on the directions to work with a crock pot: I sautéed the onions and garlic in the butter, when the onions were browned (per the directions) I added the Brandy. I heated that thoroughly and transferred to the crockpot. I stabbed the meat all over with a knife, then placed in the crockpot with everything from the skillet. Then I added the spices and water. Before serving, I removed the meat from the pot and placed the juices in bowls for dipping the sandwiches into.
Verdict: This was great! I added a little extra salt at the end and I think if I had used more soy sauce (as the recipe calls for) it might’ve been a little more flavorful, but it was still pretty awesome.
Here’s the original recipe and directions, for your convenience: